This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Treat yourself to small batch of paleo-friendly, grain-free vanilla bean cupcakes with mocha buttercream! They’re made with coconut flour, so they’re also nut free.
If, on the other hand, you don’t want any coffee flavor at all, you can leave it out and have a classic chocolate frosting. You may want to add a tiny bit more cocoa powder if the frosting doesn’t taste chocolatey enough to you.
For the cupcakes:
- 1/4 cup coconut flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon baking soda
- Seeds scraped from half a vanilla bean
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 large eggs
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 1/4 cup honey
For the frosting:
- 8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon cocoa
- Tiny pinch of salt
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon finely ground coffee (I love Medaglia D'Oro
- Coffee beans for garnish (optional)
- To make the cupcakes, preheat the oven to 350° F and line six cups of a muffin tin with paper liners.
- Whisk together the coconut flour, salt, and baking soda in a medium bowl. Add the vanilla bean seeds and mix together with your fingers, pinching the powder between your fingers to evenly distribute the vanilla seeds.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the vanilla extract, eggs, coconut oil, and honey. Add the wet ingredients to the dry and whisk well, or beat with a hand mixer, until very smooth.
- Pour the batter into the cupcake cups and bake for 15-20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Allow the cupcakes to cool completely on a rack before frosting them.
- To make the frosting, beat the butter in a stand mixer or with a hand mixer until very smooth. Add the remaining ingredients and beat until incorporated. If your frosting does not seem stiff enough, refrigerate for a little while, then beat again.
- Once the cupcakes are completely cool, pipe or spread on the frosting (I used a Wilton 1M tip). Top with a coffee bean if desired.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 809Total Fat: 50gSaturated Fat: 40gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 134mgSodium: 763mgCarbohydrates: 89gFiber: 13gSugar: 66gProtein: 9g
The nutrition label provided is an estimate for informational purposes only and may not be accurate. I am not a nutritionist or medical professional.