These orange chicken skewers are packed with flavor and easy to throw together. They’re great on a salad or alongside grilled veggies!
I’m so excited to be sharing an easy and delicious recipe today from Cristina Curp’s brand new cookbook, Made Whole! The book has over 145 recipes that are all anti-inflammatory, paleo, and keto friendly. In addition to plenty of main dishes and several scrumptious-looking desserts, it has a big chapter of staples, sauces, and dressings that includes a couple of awesome paleo cheese recipes. If you’ve visited Cristina’s blog, The Castaway Kitchen, then you know she comes up with tons of creative low-carb recipes, many of which are Whole30 friendly, too.
These orange chicken skewers are a new summer favorite of mine. Marinating the chicken in both orange and lemon juice, along with some cumin and a hint of mustard, makes the chicken super juicy and savory with just a hint of intriguing sweetness. The longer you can let these babies marinate, the better! I added some orange chunks to the skewers, which turned out great–if you haven’t bit into a piece of grilled orange, you are really missing out.
There are tons of recipes I’m eager to try in Made Whole. Here is my short list, with page numbers for when you get your hands on the book:
- Zucchini latkes (p. 120)
- Brussels & bacon frittata (p. 180)
- Vietnamese crispy chicken (p. 214)
- Camarones enchilados (p. 304)
- Street taco tortillas (p. 332)
- Cortado panna cotta (p. 368)
- Flourless brownies (made with pumpkin or avocado!) (p. 372)
In the meantime, I’ll be chomping on these orange chicken skewers on top of a summery salad. This one is just arugula, baby romaine, tomato, and avocado with sherry vinaigrette. Hope you give this combo a try!
- 1 lemon, halved
- 2 navel oranges, divided
- 3 tablespoons honey or 20 drops liquid stevia
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil, plus more for grilling
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 large onion, cut into 8 wedges (I used a sweet onion)
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs (about 8 thighs), halved lengthwise
- Squeeze the lemon and one of the oranges into a large bowl. Add the honey, oil, salt, cumin, mustard, thyme, and pepper and whisk to combine. Add the chicken and onion and toss to coat. Cover and marinate in the refrigerator for at least two hours or up to twelve.
- Remove the chicken from the refrigerator 30 minutes before you plan to cook it. If you are using wooden or bamboo skewers, soak them in warm water for 30 minutes to make sure they don't catch fire on the grill.
- Brush the grill grates with a little avocado oil. Heat the grill to medium high (about 400°F).
- Cut the second navel orange into 8 chunks. Thread the marinated chicken, onion, and orange chunks onto skewers.
- Grill the skewers for 5-10 minutes per side, or until a meat thermometer inserted into the center of a piece of chicken reads 165°F. Remove from the grill and serve hot.
I received a complimentary copy of this cookbook from the publisher.
This post contains affiliate links. If you make a purchase on Amazon after clicking one of my links, I receive a small commission (the price you pay is not affected). Thank you so much for supporting my site!