This gluten free, grain free cherry clafoutis is as easy as pancake batter to whip up, and bakes into a fluffy cake that’s as wonderful for breakfast as dessert.
Cherry Clafoutis (Gluten-free, Grain-free)
This gluten free, grain free cherry clafoutis is as easy as pancake batter to whip up, and bakes into a fluffy cake that's as wonderful for breakfast as dessert.
- Butter or ghee
- 6 tablespoons coconut sugar or raw sugar
- 1 and 1/4 cups whole milk (grass fed if possible)
- 6 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt
- 2 tablespoons kirsch (optional)
- 2 tablespoons tapioca flour
- 1/4 cup coconut flour
- 1 pound (3 cups) pitted dark sweet cherries (I used frozen)
- Powdered sugar or powdered coconut sugar, for serving*
- Preheat the oven to 325°F and grease a 9-inch cast iron skillet or cake pan with butter.
- If you have an immersion blender, you can mix your ingredients in any large bowl. If not, mix them right in the pitcher of your blender. Combine the coconut sugar, milk, eggs, vanilla, salt, and kirsch, and blend until smooth. Add the tapioca flour and coconut flour, and blend again. Let the batter sit for five minutes, then blend one more time.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan, and spread the cherries evenly on top. Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until the top of the clafoutis is golden brown and a toothpick comes out clean.
- Sprinkle the clafoutis with powdered sugar if desired, then slice into wedges and serve hot or warm. My slices fell apart some, not because they stuck to the pan, but because they are just so custardy. If you would like nicer slices, let the clafoutis cool to room temperature of even chill it for a bit before slicing. I found a little extra powdered sugar on each serving made up for everything, and enjoyed mine warm.
*To powder coconut sugar, process it in a spice or coffee grinder until it's the texture of powdered sugar.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 357Total Fat: 16gSaturated Fat: 13gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 140mgSodium: 195mgCarbohydrates: 49gFiber: 4gSugar: 41gProtein: 6g
The nutrition label provided is an estimate for informational purposes only and may not be accurate. I am not a nutritionist or medical professional.
This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Morgan LS says
Just made this with coconut milk (carton), and it turned out great! Didn’t have cherries, so I threw in frozen raspberries, strawberries and rhubarb, and baked it with a sprinkle of bourbon smoked sugar on top. It did take a bit longer for the center to set – baked for around 40 minutes.
So glad you liked it, Morgan! Your modifications sound awesome and I bet the bourbon smoked sugar was a wonderful touch!
Cate @ Chez CateyLou says
This looks delicious, and it is so pretty! I love that you made it in a cast iron skillet!
Rebecca Winkler says
Thanks, Cate! I love how the cast iron skillet gives everything instant rustic glam charm 🙂
Janie Penn says
I love cherry clafouti … this looks so delicious!
Rebecca Winkler says
Thank you! I was thinking of you when I made it 🙂