For the shrimp and kale:
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 scallions, roughly chopped
- Small handful of fresh mint (optional)
- Large handful of fresh cilantro
- 1 jalapeño, deseeded if desired, roughly chopped
- Juice of half a lime
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 pound shrimp, peeled and deveined, tails removed if desired
- 6-8 large kale leaves, destemmed and torn into bite-size pieces
For the creamy rutabaga:
- 3-4 medium rutabagas, peeled and cut into one-inch chunks
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons ghee or butter
- 1/4 cup coconut milk or heavy cream
To make the shrimp, combine all ingredients except the shrimp and kale in a blender and process to form a smooth marinade. Place the shrimp in a bowl, add the marinade, and toss to coat. Marinate for half an hour at room temperature or up to two hours, covered, in the refrigerator.
While the shrimp are marinating, make the rutabaga. Place the rutabaga chunks in a saucepan with the kosher salt and water to cover. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat, and simmer, covered, until the rutabagas are very tender when pierced with a fork, about 20 minutes. Drain. Place the rutabaga, olive oil, ghee or butter, coconut milk or heavy cream, salt, and pepper in a food processor and process until smooth (or process in the pot with an immersion blender). Taste and adjust seasonings as desired. Keep the rutabaga warm while you broil the shrimp.
Preheat the broiler and line a baking sheet with tinfoil. Spread the kale on the baking sheet in a single layer, and spread the shrimp and marinade on top. Broil for 3-4 minutes, until just cooked through. Sprinkle with additional salt and pepper.
Serve the shrimp and kale on top of the rutabaga.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1 serving
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 676Total Fat: 36gSaturated Fat: 13gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 20gCholesterol: 272mgSodium: 2039mgCarbohydrates: 61gFiber: 15gSugar: 28gProtein: 36g
The nutrition label provided is an estimate for informational purposes only and may not be accurate. I am not a nutritionist or medical professional.