- 1 small winter squash (I used carnival), halved, seeds scooped out (or use half a butternut squash)
- 1 head garlic
- 1 large rutabaga, trimmed, peeled, and cut into 1-inch chunks
- 2 teaspoons olive oil, plus extra for roasting
- 1/3-1/2 cup coconut milk
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Chopped fresh chives, optional, for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Remove the outer skins from the head of garlic, leaving the skin on the individual cloves. Slice off the top so that the upper part of each clove is exposed. Drizzle a little olive oil over the cut part of the cloves, and wrap the head of garlic in tinfoil.
- Brush a little olive oil on the insides of the cut squash. Place the wrapped garlic and the squash, cut side up, in a baking dish lined with parchment or tinfoil.
- Bake for 45-60 minutes, or until the squash is tender when pierced with a fork and the garlic cloves are soft when squeezed. Set aside to cool.
- While the squash and garlic are roasting, place the cubed rutabaga in a saucepan with water to cover. Bring to a boil and simmer, covered, for 30-40 minutes or until tender when pierced with a fork. Drain and place in the bowl of your food processor.
- When the garlic is cool enough to handle, squeeze out the cloves and add them to the food processor with the rutabaga. Scoop out the squash flesh and add that, too. Add two teaspoons of olive oil and a little salt and pepper, and pulse to combine. Add the coconut milk a little bit at a time, just until the mixture is smooth. Taste and adjust seasonings.
- If necessary, transfer the mixture to the saucepan and reheat it on low, stirring constantly. Serve hot, with chives on top if desired.
California Olive Ranch Everyday Extra Virgin Olive Oil - 25.4 oz each (Pack of 2)
Native Forest Simple Organic Unsweetened Coconut Milk, 13.5 Fluid Ounce (Pack of 12)
Hamilton Beach (70670) Food Processor & Vegetable Chopper, 10 Cup, Electric
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 servings Serving Size: 1 serving
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 214 Total Fat: 13g Saturated Fat: 9g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 3g Cholesterol: 0mg Sodium: 105mg Carbohydrates: 25g Fiber: 6g Sugar: 10g Protein: 4g
This post contains affiliate links. If you make a purchase on Amazon after clicking one of my links, I receive a small commission (the price you pay is not affected). Thank you so much for supporting my site!