For the cilantro avocado crema:
- 1 avocado, peeled and pitted
- Small handful fresh cilantro leaves and tender stems
- 1/4 cup coconut milk or heavy cream
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Juice of half a lime, or to tase
- Water as needed
For the carnitas con huevo:
- 1/4 cup ghee or avocado oil, divided
- 2 cups leftover carnitas
- 2 large eggs
- Sliced radishes, lime wedges, and/or chopped fresh cilantro, for garnish
- To make the avocado crema, combine all ingredients in the bowl of a food processor or the beaker of your immersion blender. Process until smooth. If desired, add water and/or additional coconut milk to thin out the sauce. Taste and add salt, pepper, and/or lime juice if desired.
- To make the carnitas con huevo, heat a large cast iron skillet over medium-high heat. When the pan is hot, add one tablespoon of ghee. Once the ghee shimmers, add the carnitas in a single layer. Let them cook undisturbed for about 3 minutes, until richly browned and crispy on the bottom. Stir, then allow the carnitas to cook for 1-2 more minutes. Use a slotted spoon or spatula to transfer the carnitas to two plates.
- Line another plate with paper towels.
- Add the remaining ghee to the pan. Once it's hot, tip the pan to one side and add one egg to the pool of hot ghee. Give the egg about 20 seconds to set, then tip the pan to another side and add the second egg. Once the egg whites are starting to brown around the edges, use a spoon to baste the top of the whites with hot oil to help them cook through. Once the whites are opaque and the yolk is done to your liking, transfer the eggs to the plate lined with paper towels and let them rest for about a minute.
- To serve, drizzle or dollop the avocado crema onto the carnitas. Top each serving with an egg. Garnish with radishes, lime wedges, and/or cilantro and serve hot.
*I recommend my five-ingredient instant pot carnitas (there are instructions for the slow cooker, too!). If you're making carnitas just to make this dish, you don't need to broil them after slow-cooking since we're pan-frying here instead.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 368Total Fat: 30gSaturated Fat: 12gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 16gCholesterol: 124mgSodium: 286mgCarbohydrates: 13gFiber: 3gSugar: 6gProtein: 13g
The nutrition label provided is an estimate for informational purposes only and may not be accurate. I am not a nutritionist or medical professional.
This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.